Saturday, February 14, 2009

An Update

This post is going to be just a general update. I don't really have any funny stories to share, sorry.

So, I got a promotion at work!!! I will be head teacher beginning in March. I'll basically be in a more administrative role, but still teaching quite a bit. I'm excited about it. We are changing a lot of things for the next session including textbooks, classes and teachers, so I've been really busy lately. I'm excited for the next few months and I think it will be a good growing period for me.

I've also changed churches. Many people have been a little unsure about this decision, but I assure you I have no qualms about it. When I've told friends about this new change many of them were weary and cautioned me, which I much appreciated while at the same time was frustrated by. I understand that my friends care about me and that they want the Lord's best for me, and for that I'm thankful. However, I've always been a fan of church and so when presented with the danger of church-hopping and how the tendency is to stop going altogether, I was kind of annoyed. I fully understand that this is the case many times, even the author of Hebrews warns us to not give up meeting together, so I don't want to be so arrogant to say that it can't happen to me, but as a general rule, it's not something I struggle with. I love church. I also want to say that the church I previously attended, Onnuri, is a wonderful church, I had no problem with the theology or the people I simply didn't fit. I guess the way I view the situation is that I'm just changing pews. God is at both churches, I'm just moving to a place where I'm more comfortable. I also don't want to make this about me, because I know that worship isn't about me, but there is a reason that a community of believers comes together and I want to be able to build relationships not because I'm forcing them, but because I have things in common with people and because we connect. Sometimes it requires more than the bond of Christ to build a deep friendship, God did give us personalities. Making friends has always come natural to me and so why should that be any different in Korea? That being said, my new church is called Jubilee. It is a bit younger demographic than Onnuri, and people are just so welcoming. My friend Erin goes to this church and she raved about it for months so I decided to give it a shot. Well, my first week there I met so many new people, I joined a small group, and the choir that will sing at a special Easter service. During my small group we were talking about how we can worship all the time, and what are some practical ways to worship the Lord throughout our day. So we went around the room and each told about a way we would worship the Lord during the upcoming week. My plan was to keep my ipod on Christian music all week. Our leader also encouraged us to check on each other throughout the week and see how we are doing, well all week I've been getting facebook messages, e-mails, and texts encouraging me to keep up my worshipful lifestyle and I've found that I have been much more joyful this week. I'm excited about this new church and all that the Lord will do in me and through me.

Today is Valentine's Day which means that I have only 12 days until I come back to the States for a visit. I'm elated that the time has gone by so fast and I can barely contain my excitement. Everytime I talk to my sister's on skype I do an 'excited to come home' dance. I just can't wait!! Also, a little Korean fun fact for you... Korean's have 2 Valentine's Days the first is February 14 and on this day the women give gifts to the men they are in a relationship with. The second is White Day it is March 14 and on this day the men give gifts to the women. Now so as not to leave out the single people there is also Black Day, April 14 and this day all the single friends have get togethers and hang out with each other. I think it's a great idea.

Anyway, I probably won't post again until I get back from AMERICA, unless something real funny happens between now and then.

Continue to be in prayer for Korea and that they would see the truth of Christ's love for them.

1 comment:

Ashton said...

oh my goodness, oh my goodness...YOU COME HOME SOON! Like in 10 days! Which is like 9 days cause today is almost over...yipee! I love you so much, sister. :-)