Thursday, March 18, 2010

Round Two

Greetings from Korea! I'm finally here! It feels as the same as when I left. Granted I've only been gone 8 months, but a lot can change in a short time.

I arrived in Korea at 5am local time and then had to wait until 6am to take the first bus from the airport to my new city, Daejeon. While I was waiting for the bus I met a girl named Brenna. While we chatted I learned she is from New Orleans and is also going to be teaching in Daejeon. This is her first time teaching and I was excited to give her a few pointers. We had a good conversation for the first hour on the bus, but the last two were spent napping. After arriving in my new home I met my director, Mr. Lee, and he took me to my apartment. I'm once again on the third floor and the building seems very similar to my last apartment. My new home is smaller than my last, but still bigger than I expected. I have more appliances than I did at my last place which is nice. I'm most excited about the air conditioner. It was a hot summer last year without one, and I'm thankful for this electronic blessing.

It's colder than expected and it was fun that my first day back it snowed. I spent most of Wednesday unpacking and sleeping. I hung out with a friend from college, that is also teaching in this city, for dinner, and he showed me around the area a little; then I went to bed. This morning I woke up and went to the store for some food and other essentials. I went to school at 1pm and met my co-teachers and observed some of my classes. Today was a light day so I finished around 6:30 and headed home for some Korean dinner.

I'm headed to Seoul this weekend for church and to visit with some friends and to go back to the orphanage I love so dearly. Every time I think about it I get so giddy as if I'm seeing a friend I haven't seen in a while. I can actually feel the excitement welling up.

Don't really have any funny stories yet, but I'm sure there will be some in the near future.

Pray that I get acquainted with my surroundings quickly and that I will settle in well with my students and school.

No comments: